There are 75 Division I players on the ballot. I can vote for up to 12. Additionally there are 6 division I coaches (vote for 2), 95 lower division players (vote for 4) and 29 lower division coaches (vote for 2) on the ballot.
Here is my decision making process as I vote for division I players.
- Did they play for Michigan
- Have I seen them play in person and the level of success they had against Michigan
- Under recognized player I saw enough on TV or heard enough about to earn my vote
- "Star" who is likely to get enough votes from others
Criteria 2 adds 16 more players, so I shouldn't need to go past here to complete this part of the ballot.
- Terrell Buckley - Dominant performance in Florida State's (closer than the final score) 51-31 victory of Desmond Howard and the 1991 Wolverines.
- Keith Byars -injury plagued for most of 1985, but he did play against Messner and Elliott in the first M-OSU game I attended.
- Mark Carrier - on the roster for the 1989 Rose Bowl game but I admit to not remembering him play.
- Kerry Collins - Losing QB in M's first trip to Happy Valley. He did lead an undefeated squad to victory in Ann Arbor in 1994, but I missed that game for a wedding.
- Tim Dwight - his punt return for a touchdown just before the half was as close to a loss for the 1997 MNC Wolverines.
- Moe Gardner - big DT for Illinois, I swear I remember jiMpossible telling me that he trashed talked Moe on the sidelines in 1988 or 1989. But now he claims to not remember this story.
- Dana Howard - Part of the Illini defense that tied M in 1992 and beat them in 1993, but I don't remember much about him.
- Raghib Ismael - I was supposed to babysit my nieces in Southfield, but was able to get out of it when I scalped tickets to the 1989 M-ND game that saw Ismael return 2 kickoffs for touchdowns.
- Matt Leinart - destroyed Michigan in the 2004 Rose Bowl
- Anthony Poindexter - defensive back for Virginia, he would have been a freshman in the 1995 season opener. I do not remember him if he did play.
- Antwaan Randle-El - Michigan has had some close victories over Indiana lately. Randle-El had a Hail Mary throw into the endzone to knock off Tom Brady's team in Bloomington in 1999.
- Simeon Rice - Another Illini defender, like Howard part of a tie and victory over M.
- Rashaan Salaam - Heisman trophy winner for the 1994 Buffaloes that came all teh way back to knock off M on the Kordell Stewart Hail Mary.
- Aaron Taylor - Notre Dame lineman was 1-1 in the 2 games I saw his team face M.
- Troy Vincent - Defensive back for the Badgers back when M dominated the Badgers
- Lorenzo White - was dominant for the Spartans in the 1987 victory (although they still needed 7 interceptions to win).
Byars, Carrier, Collins, Gardner, Howard, Poindexter, Rice, Taylor and Vincent are vying for the final 3 spots. Is there anyone to add from next 3rd criteria?
- Eric Bienemy - helped start the Colorado resurgence.
- Matt Cavanaugh - good at handing off to Tony Dorsett
- Bobby Humphrey had that epic battle with Jamie Morris the in the Hall of Fame Bowl
- Dat Nguyen - that's fun to say
Only Spurrier gets my vote in the coaches group and I decided I'm even less qualified to vote on the lower division selections.