Monday, October 26, 2020

Game Week Countdown - MSU #5

I've seen M face MSU more than any other school. M is 18-10 against the Spartans. 

For the #5 game I'll go with the first game I attended vs. MSU, October 12, 1985 - also my first road game.

My Uncle Lefty (yellow hat, black jacket) had worked with the MSU athletic department for several years and was in charge of the sideline officials - the chain gang at Spartan Stadium and was the unofficial "King of the Tunnel." 

He got me, and a few cousins field passes to sit on a folding chair in the endzone near the tunnel. My uncle and cousin got to work the orange pylon first down lines.

MSU had beaten Michigan the year before - with the help of Harbaugh's broken collar bone. George Perles was getting a lot of hype and had just lost a heartbreaking shootout to Iowa 35-31. M was undefeated, but Musberger and crew were expecting a close match-up. They didn't get one.

Michigan's defense dominated - winning 31-0.

No comments:

Post a Comment