Monday, February 22, 2010

Miracle on Ice

30 years ago today Terry Aicher and I were among the the last "athletes" left in a gym in Sault Ste Marie Canada. The UP games were in Soo Canada in 1980, Terry and I were teammates on the 7th grade Gladstone Basketball squad (we would finish out of the medals).

Our host family apparently forgot about us and Don Pfotenhauer (the long time Athletic Director) was working hard to find us a place to stay. He overheard a woman looking for 2 skiers from Iron Mountain and when they were nowhere to be found Mr Pfotenhauer stepped in and asked if "2 basketball players from Gladstone would do?"

While we were waiting they announced over the PA in the gym that the US hockey team had beaten the USSR in what would be dubbed the Miracle on Ice. But like everyone else, I've seen replays of the game especially the closing seconds. Al Michaels "Do you believe in Miracles?" is in my opinion the best announcing clip I've ever heard.




I do remember some of the other games. I remember watching the opening game against Sweden where the US scored in the last seconds with an extra skater to tie the game. Our family had never really watched hockey before those games.

No comments:

Post a Comment