Friday, June 12, 2009

MHSAA schedules

John U Bacon writes on the change in girls' sports (I say girls' sports as I say boys' sports for high school - for the AA schools to call their programs men's and women's is ridiculous) schedules and the impact it has had on the state's schools, and kids.

http://blog.johnubacon.com/2009/06/12/good-intentions-gone-wrong.aspx

I really like John, but I think he misses the point on this one (and I told him so in the comments). To blame the mothers for MHSAA financial problems, lower turnout in sports etc. is too great a leap.

How much could the MHSAA have saved if they'd just accepted the ruling? I think the downturn in the economy has a great impact on HS sports. More schools have gone to pay-for-play. More kids might need to work to help support the family etc. Less sponsorship of teams by local businesses.

The MHSAA held their breath, kicked their feet and didn't want to follow the rest of the country. They spent millions of dollars they didn't have to fight change to avoid the "problems" that every other state finds ways to deal with.

No comments:

Post a Comment