Thursday, November 19, 2009

M - OSU replays on ESPN classic and BTN


Here's a photo from the 1939 M-OSU game that isn't being rebroadcast on ESPN or BTN

So far I've watched parts of the 1995 game, the 1979 game and the 1977 game.

Potentially interesting tidbits:

Entering the 1979 game M was ranked 122 out of the 139 1-A teams in net punting. How were there 139 1A teams in 1979??

In the 1977 game they showed video introductions of the offensive starters in the first series of the first half and just had graphics of the defensive starters; then reversed it in the 2nd half. I'd forgotten they used to do that - I think they should bring that back. Why does espn do that stupid thing where they only show the "game breakers" and only scroll the full starters at the top?

Apparently Woody Hayes got bumped by someone prior to the start of the 1977 game. Bill Fleming asked him about it at halftime - live on camera - and he kind of shrugged it off like he didn't feel anything. Of course later in the game he tried to punch an ABC cameraman after a Rod Gerald fumble.

M got badly out gained in the 1977 game. Now that I think about it I remember my mom saying that was payback for the several years in the mid 70s when M out gained OSU but lost. You go Alice!

Form the 1995 game, what was the deal with the uniform numbers? Biakabatouka's 2 and 1 are so far apart - weird! I had forgotten how close that game got. Looking back I thought M was always in control. But they had to grind out a couple drives at the end and still had the Woodson interception to seal it at the end.

I have the 1999 game set up on the DVR tomorrow. I honestly do not remember anything about that game. I see M won 24-17, interesting...

No comments:

Post a Comment