Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Rodrig

I think Jeremy's comments below from the WCBN Blog sums up my opinions about the RR thing. I don't think I'd be so negative in the delivery (maybe I am, actually), but I think he is probably the best coach for now, but I don't expect big things in the future. (I'm not really sure why Jeremy brought up the players that left the first year)

Of course, that doesn't answer the question of WHO would be better than RR in the next few years.

I'm still sticking with the prediction that RR will last 6 years and leave on his own.

Jeremy: .....Do I think Rich Rodriguez should be fired following a 5-7 season? I'm indifferent. I have no doubt that Rich Rodriguez is the best coach for the 2010 team, so a large part of me wants to see what he'll do with the roster that he has crafted and the system that he has put in place. At the same time, I have zero faith that Rich Rodriguez will meet out expectations of building a championship program (needless to say, Michigan MUST compete for a Big Ten title next year and, at the very least, MUST be playing on January 1st, 2011). And why should I? After Michigan beat Florida in the Capital One Bowl with Rich Rodriguez on the sidelines, the 2008 team was supposed to be led by Ryan Mallett, Mario Manningham, Adrian Arrington, Justin Boren, etc. They all left. Rodriguez struck out on Pryor, and was too stubborn to fit the system around his quarterback(s). The team, as it was constituted in week one of 2008, was supposed to be a six-win team (although many at WCBN predicted that the team would win seven or eight games). Michigan lost to Toledo (3-9), Purdue (4-8), and Northwestern (at home) and finished the season 3-9. This year, Michigan was supposed to take a step forward, certainly play in a bowl game, and compete with the middle of the Big Ten. Michigan has one Big Ten win and is in danger of missing a Bowl game for the second consecutive year. Rich Rodriguez has yet to prove to me that he can meet expectations--let alone exceed them. So fire him, keep him, whatever. Just please tell me that this school has a contingency plan when it's time to begin competing for a national championship again.

2 comments:

  1. I don't think you have the right link to the blog you referenced...
    I really have no idea what to think. I think RR has made several moves I've disagreed with at the time and of course I only remember the ones that didn't work out. Not kicking a few FGs in the past 2 weeks - where is Minor or Grady on the goal line vs. Illinois? Why is Kovacs still playing the coverage safety? etc.

    At the same time there does seem to be some actual "reasons" for some of the troubles that are more than just lame excuses. 28 scholarship players on D, injuries...

    I put myself between the RR kool-aid drinkers and the never wanted RR in the first place crowd. I do believe firing him now for anything other than violations would limit the likelihood we'd get a decent coach in the future.

    ReplyDelete