Monday, April 27, 2009

draft, etc.

I didn't pay too much attention to the draft. I saw the first day picks for the Lions on Saturday night and wondered, also about the TE so early, and the MAC safety. He may be as good as they say, but it is a risk. As almost any pick would be, of course.

As far as Cowherd, I feel fortunate I can't hear him in my office. Based on the last few things you have mentioned, he likes to quantify things, but does it in such simplified terms that it doesn't make sense. In this case, for instance, if Pettigrew starts 6 games, but the coaches realize his ability and switch up the offense so the next few years are more geared to the TE, and he ends up being all pro 6 times in the next 8 years, and a possible HOF'er, Cowheard's measurement would just be '6 starts'. I'd say it was a great draft pick.

Secondly, starts are not very important in some positions (WR, for instance) but very important in others (QB).

Look at Advanced NFL Stats. There is a lot of analysis on the draft (at least before it, i haven't read anything from after the draft yet). That site makes simplistic statements like the above referenced look silly.

No comments:

Post a Comment