Sunday, April 12, 2009

Football alumni @ Chop House

I went with my Dad and Barry to the Football Alumni dinner at the Chop House last night. Jamie Morris shook our hands as we came in. Barry Introduced us to Jim Connelly (Captain of the 1964 Rose Bowl Team). They discussed the options for their 45th reunion this season - either Notre Dame or Indiana depending on which works best for Bump. I wasn't sure he was still alive. Barry said he's doing very well.
We also met and had a pretty nice chat with Don Dufek (MVP of the 1951 Rose Bowl). He was an assistant for Bump when Barry played and was the coach who told Barry he would never be a QB for Michigan. He and my dad discussed some of the players my dad tried to remember.
Don also talked about how happy he was with some of the things RR was doing. Obviously there are some split camps out there, but in my mind Dufek is Michigan royalty (two sons who were also at least all-big 1o performers - Donny also played hockey - Awesome!) and if he's still pleased with RR - who am I to not be?
We left before the program started. Barry was ready to go - since no more teammates seemed to be showing up, and of course my dad didn't have anyone from his era.
It was fun, though. You should go next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment