Monday, April 27, 2009

Lions Super Bowl Review

NOTE: Lions Super Bowl = NFL Draft

1st round - Stafford - I think this is a crap shoot. I don't think he's Peyton Manning but I don't think he's Akili Smith either. If he can be a 5 year starter - this is a success.
Brandon Pettigrew - I know the Lions need everything, but a TE at #20 - seems like a reach. Is the #1 TE in the draft going to be that much more of an impact than the #5 TE? the #10 TE. I've read he blocks like a tackle so his value could truly be higher than a typical TE, but I'm not fully convinced.
2nd round - Louis Delmas - I've read he was the #1 safety in the draft. With Maualuga and Laurinaitis still available (when people wanted the Lions to take Rey at #20) I'm surprised they didn't pick up a MLB. A theme here will be the Lions need everything so if Delmas is a starter, it seems like a win for me. Just watch out for the pro bowls from the mlbs they passed on...
3rd round - Levy - is an OLB - The Lions seem to be short term covered here with Sims (hopefully long term solution) and the off season addition of Julian Peterson.
Williams - remember when the one thing you could count on the Lions for is a good to great returner? - Lem Barney, Eddie Payton, Mel Gray, Terry Fair, Desmond Howard, Eddie Drummond- I think Williams could get back to that.
"The Professor and Mary Ann...." It is well known the "Experts" wanted the Lions to go OL and defense. The added a small college DT and a late round LB. The only OL they pick up is a 7th rounder. The remainder is a RB and ANOTHER TE.
My nemesis - Colin Blowhard is making a case (that I do not concede, by the way) that you judge the draft/off-season by the # of starts you added to your roster. I'm not convinced the Lions added too many starts to their season. Hopefully none for Stafford, is there always a TE starter? I'll give them 8 for Pettigrew. We'll assume Delmas can beat out whoever the Lions had at safety (+16). Peterson (not Levy) should add 16 at OLB. Maybe 4-5 from the rest. I'd predict 45-50 starts from new players, on a team that was winless that seems like a small number...

No comments:

Post a Comment