Wednesday, September 30, 2009

My Pick

I was thinking all week of my prediction, but I was always thinking my score was too low. I was actually hoping to see the vegas over/under to see if they were thinking the same ballpark, but my sources for Vegas lines didn't have over/under. But, after seeing your score, i realize we are thinking the same way. So, here goes:

M 30, MSU 27

As I think every game, the key is putting the pressure on the MSU QBs. If M had put a little more pressure last week, they would have thrown the ball away many more times than they did. And they did a lot, considering how far away from being sacked they actually were. That could be a repeat against MSU. The DBs need help, and they are not going to get it in their own ranks.

On offense, the key for every game is running the offense. Like against ND, they need to be able to run the read option where the RB gets the ball and gets 4 yards, where the QB keeps it and gets a positive gain. Also, throw the bubble screen (and block) and get a 6 yards. Throw after a scramble and get a completion and throw downfield every once in awhile and get a big gain or two. Nothing fancy, just run a variety of plays, like against ND. If there is good execution on a wide variety of plays, even Robinson could lead the team to a win.

I liked Mgobrian's suggestion of how to get the D off the field sooner (apparently he thinks that is a problem). He says they should blitz more. One of two things will happen: 1) Defensive success and the opponent having to punt, or 2) Big play by the offense and a score. Either way, the D gets off the field sooner. The bend but don't break D, in his opinion, is a bad way to play with a D without much depth. I don't agree fully with the suggestion, but the idea is interesting. Taking a few more chances, when you know the odds are pretty good it could result in something really bad, could be the answer for this D. Of course, that's just the "we let Indiana gain how many yards?" me saying that. The D is probably not as bad as I feel it is. Please.

No comments:

Post a Comment