Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Trips to MSU

Here are my memories of the games I've attended at MSU.

1985 UM @ MSU - I remember having Todd Heger drive me out to my Aunt and Uncle's house to pick up my field pass for the game. Then we walked around campus and Heger got MiPed by East Lansing's finest. I don't remember much of the game. David Arnold blocked a punt and the M defense dominated throughout.

1987 UM @ MSU - D Brown and the 7 interceptions. I sat on the field again, this time with my cousin Chris, his brother-in-law Kent got to move the orange triangle first down thingy. Lorenzo White scored on a sweep in our end zone. M had so many chances to win the game, but kept throwing them away, literally. I remember the MSU band walking out in formation, not allowed to celebrate etc. that seemed awfully silly to me.

1987 Indiana @ MSU - This was essentially the Big Ten championship game. If you recall I said before the season, "Michigan State will never play in the Rose Bowl again..." Oops. This is the last game I got field passes form my Uncle Lefty. I remember slapping Andre Rison on the shoulder pad after he scored a TD.

1989 UM @ MSU - "The tougher team won!" The crazy goal line stand finish with Tripp Welborne finishing off the last effort. There was some weird clock goings on at the end as well. MSU players be ruled in bounds because their forward momentum was stopped on an immediate hit out of bounds by the defense. Barry Dehlin got me tickets, my parents came down as well.

1991 UM @ MSU - We went up without tickets, I remember asking M athletic director, Jack Widenbach, if he had any extras. We eventually scored some tix in the end zone. Desmond Howard made a TD catch similar to the ND diving catch. I think he had two TDs that day.

2003 UM @ MSU - I took quite a break between trips to EL. I purchased an MSU mini season ticket package (M + 3 games) to get tickets to this game. We were in the front row in the end zone. M had this game in hand until Carr called for Navarre to play-action pass rather than run. Somehow the Spartan D scored a TD. This is the Chris Perry 51 carry game.

2005 UM @ MSU - MSU was so ready to drop the 2-2 unranked Wolverines. Tickets from E-Bay. Mike Hart made a couple big runs, although I think he was caught from behind. This one ends up in OT after Rivas misses a chip shot at the end of regulation. Then MSU's kicker misses in OT giving Rivas a 2nd chance - he makes it this time.

2007 UM @ MSU - Barry was sitting with the MSU president so he gave us his tix. M seemed to be in control. The the MSU ground game took over. Henne went out for a play, Mallett fumbled, somehow Hart picked it up and ran for the first down to keep the drive alive. Henne connects on 2 late TD passes to steal the victory. These were the last decent passes I saw him throw. His shoulder was never the healthy until the Bowl game.

1 comment:

  1. My quick comments:

    1985-Blowout from early one. Blocked punt first drive, I believe. Sitting in the MSU student section. Realized I didn't fit in there. I mean the student section, not MSU.

    1987-3 reasons D Brown was bad. Interceptions. Catching his throw which was batted and being tackled for a big loss. Calling timeout when at our own 2 or 3 yard line to avoid delay of game penalty.

    1989-On the MSU sideline. The players who weren't playing had to be on one knee and be quiet, generally. Perles asked me what kind of footballs M was using. Tripp's stuff of Ezor on 4th down, beautiful.

    1991-I remember that about Weidenbach. I don't remember much about the game. Pretty boring, I imagine. There was a MSU fan, about 12 years old, who, after the M fans did Bullwinkle, yelled "how juvenile". A number of MSU fans laughed. You said something like "Can we kill that kid?" or something like that.

    2003-Perry Perry Perry. Wasn't as close as the score indicates. Perry.

    ReplyDelete