Sunday, October 25, 2009

PSU Comments

It didn't look like much fun. I kindof thought from early on it wasn't going well, but M was, more or less, staying with it until the last few minutes of the first half. I was hoping there would be some sort of momentum change in the second and it actually was just more (and worse) of the what happened in the first.

As for the people using my seats, you gave a pretty big age range there. I don't really care if I sell my tickets to the opponent. His money spends just like your sister's does.

I don't know what to make of Forcier. In some cases I think the opposing Ds have figured out what to do (preventing him from leaving the pocket, for instance), in some cases I think the receivers are just not getting open (against Iowa most of his passes had to be perfect for the defender not to knock them down, and he actually made some of those), in some cases I think he is still hurt (he did get up holding his arm once) and in some cases I think his early performances may have been a fluke. In any case, he is still the best option for M and we have seen him do good things in the past. I think we can expect (read hope) he will do that again sometime this year. And if he does it against IL and PU, then M should end up 7-5.

Speaking of records, I have wavered little from my 6-6 prediction. I'm sure there were times I thought 7-5 was more likely, but that loss to MSU put me back to favoring 6-6. I still think M has the ability to play with anyone on the schedule, but after the PSU game, I am less likely to think it is going to happen against WIS and OSU. You have to concerned about the IL putting things together for one game (and the D giving up big plays to IL's big play people), and you can't take PU for granted. I don't expect M to lose the remaining 4, but I'm not so confident that I would put money on a bet like that.

Do you realize that the last 3 home games I didn't attend were blowouts. M is 1-2 in those games. PU is the next home game I don't attend.

I read the first paragraph of Pat Caputo's column this morning's Sunday Oakland Pres and he mentioned that M's improvement we thought we saw in the beginning of the season was a mirage. I didn't read the rest because I think that is absolutely incorrect. Even if Forcier is only a good QB, he is an improvement, and I think the OLine is much better. And I think much of the defence (pronouned di-FENTS) is better, with some big holes. Overall, the team is significantly better. And unless M doesn't make a bowl game, I consider it a successful season. Big steps taken. Next year will be important for RR to keep the fans on his side and his job.

Speaking of which, I haven't heard it yet, but I expect a lot of calls to fire RR.

I agree that there were way too many drops. I think there were 4 by the TEs alone.

I noticed Shaw positioned in the wideout slot for a couple key plays. I didn't realize he was the best receiving RB. Or maybe they were giving the other two a rest and didn't want to give the opponent a clue on formation, so they didn't put another slot receiver in.

The Drob experiment should be over. Putting him for a drive to give the team a spark is the equivalent to running a drive of trick plays to give the team a spark. If it doesn't work, it kills you. A coulple plays here and there is what he is capable of. Don't put him in the situation to have to throw the ball more than once on a drive. Because of that, I say Fire RR. (just kidding)

Pass D. Most of the game I listened to the WTKA broadcast while watching the CC on TV. Beck and Brand talked a lot about Stevie Brown covering a WR man-to-man. That resulted in two of the TDs. I don't know how M could fix that.

And the 15 yard cushion by Warren so evident. It almost looked on the replay that there was some sag-type zone coverage on the WR. Warren wouldn't even be in the picure at the beginning of the WR isolation shot. I don't know.

It was mentioned that Cissoko came in on a key 3rd down near the goal line, moving Woolfolk to safety and taking out Williams. PSU ended up throwing at Warren's man and he had good coverage. I didn't hear about that the rest of the game. I thought I noticed someone playing a WR tight later and I assumed it was Cissoko, but I couldn't see his number. Did he play much?

Kovacs is a good tackler. Most of the time.

During the broadcast, the M announcers said PSU shouldn't have gone for 2 when they took the 15 point lead. They went on and on that after missing it M could score two TDs and two 2-pt conversions and win the game. I think they are idiots. If PSU had made the 2-pt conversion, it would have then been a 3 score game. With it being a 15 point game, if M would have scored a TD, that would make it 9. M would HAVE TO go for 1 to prevent it from continuing to be a 2 score game and give M a chance to tie with another TD and then the 2 point conversion. Really, are they that stupid?
Of course, the reasons none of that mattered are:
-it was early in the second half and PSU had easily moved the ball and you had to expect it was going to happen again
-a FG by either team would have messed up any theories in the 2 point conversion debate

No comments:

Post a Comment